Thursday 2 January 2014

New year, new diet


If you have been following me for a while or since last January anyway you will know I am a big fan of the January diet.  Particularly needed this year!!!

Well this year I am trying the Low Carbohydrate, High Fat diet (LCHF).  Or as I prefer to think of it, less of a diet and more of a lifestyle change.

And the good news about this year's diet is that it has science behind it.

"Eat less saturated fat: that has been the take-home message from the U.S. government for the past 30 years. But while Americans have dutifully reduced the percentage of daily calories from saturated fat since 1970, the obesity rate during that time has more than doubled, diabetes has tripled, and heart disease is still the country’s biggest killer. Now a spate of new research, including a meta-analysis of nearly two dozen studies, suggests a reason why: investigators may have picked the wrong culprit. Processed carbohydrates, which many Americans eat today in place of fat, may increase the risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease more than fat does."  (From Scientific America)


If you are interested in reading more about it, see here but in the meantime check out a summary of what I ate today:
Nuts, seeds, cream (in coffee all day, plus in dinner), chicken, eggs, mayonaise, sparkling water, bacon lardons, parmesan cheese.

It seems CRAZY doesn't it.  
But the research behind this diet says that fats are not to be feared, that it is the sugar that is the poison.

5 comments:

  1. All good stuff!! Lots of fat and protein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the Swedes are doing it, it must be good! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm coffee with cream!! Good luck with January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I actually don't really like cream in coffee. This diet is crazy, I cannot get my head around it. It is completely the opposite of everything I grew up with (particularly with the swimming - carb loading etc)...very hard to get my head around but have to keep reminding myself it is the sugar that is bad, fat is not...

      Delete