Sunday 16 July 2017

Once

Spoiler alert!
**Contain spoilers** Do not read this post if you have not seen Once and want to see it (film or musical)** Details about the plot are contained within**


Image result for once musical olympia

Once is showing right now in the Olympia in Dublin.  You should go if you can.  It's so wonderful!

Above is a photo of the set which is one of the (clever) stars of the show.  It is a beautiful depiction of an Irish pub, in a semi circle drawing you in so that feel you are actually in the pub with the cast.  And in fact some of the audience were actually there.  At the beginning, and the interval you can go up on the stage and buy a drink from the bar on the stage - while the cast are in the middle of a traditional Irish sessiun.

So while I enjoyed the film I always thought that it felt a little "low budget" - which of course it was.  But more importantly not filled out enough or unfinished or something.  I don't know if that makes sense, but that's the way it felt to me anyway.  The musical however closes that loop for me.  I think it was made for stage - and whoever adapted it for stage is a genius.  Some of the pieces are just perfect, for example the three girls dancing with headphones on is stunningly beautiful and both old fashioned and modern at the same time.

I cannot say how much I loved this.  And how uplifted I felt when I came out - which is unusual considering the poignancy of the story - two people sharing a 5 day experience, unbelievably perfect for each other but destined never to be together.  Please go see this if you have the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment