Sunday 28 May 2017

Friday lunch

Well first of all I have to say I am appalled at myself for not blogging for so long.  It's been really irking even upsetting me for a while now...I am questioning my existence lol.  Well no, but I was questioning...if I haven't blogged for two weeks or so, can I really call myself a blogger?
Anyway I am back!
 
And back with a report of a lovely day with Enid on this Friday just gone
 
Here we are pictured just before we left Enid's house
 
And here we are over in Fitzwilliam where we were attending a lunch in aid of Aware featuring the culinary skills and imagination of the Michelin star chef Ross Lewis of Chapter One restaurant.

Soup of Smoked Haddock, Fermented Horseraddish, Cauliflower, Dill
This starter was a beautifully light and delicately flavoured chowder.

But it was the main that really blew me away!
Navarin of Irish Spring Lamb with Smoked Buttermilk Potato Puree
The lamb was succulent and melt in your mouth.  And the potato!!! I have never tasted anything like it.  I'd eat that every day, breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It was incredibly buttery with a supreme soft smoky undertone.

Hot 70% Chocolate Mousse , Barley and Hazelnut Milk, Bourbon Vanilla Ice Cream, Lemon Jelly.
Another winner!

But as good as the food was it was even more of a highlight listening to Ross himself speak.  He had some wonderful stories about one of his first jobs working with the character(!) Peter Langan in Langan's brasserie in London.  He also had the most amazing anecdotes about cooking for President Mary McAleese and the Queen of England on her visit to Ireland a couple of years ago.  He got only three weeks notice for it! And the work that went into it was just phenomenal! And then on the day - the amount of staff, the amount of security (someone watching the fridge all night in case the electricity went off) and the amount of work again. It was a great story.
Also nice to hear about setting up his own restaurant in 1992 - and how the Northside location meant they "tried harder" and have continued to try harder and offer more (the ingredients, the menu, the service, the value).
He is a very charming and entertaining man.  A quick wit and lovely self deprecating manner about him - although don't forget the 10 Michelin stars "did I mention that already" as he said himself :-)

Around 5pm I was fading and I went on to the martini espressos (eek!).  A couple of them and I certainly felt em, awake.

 
The sun was shining and it was lovely afternoon.
 
 
At about 9pm, again flagging, we went for something to eat (yes more food!!!) with Ciaran and Gerry to Dillingers.

I love this photo of Enid and Ciaran.  To be honest, lately I am feeling tired of the over filtered perfection of "instagram style" photos, and this to me is natural and "as is", and will in years to come be a better record of "a moment in time".
 
I love Dillingers! I just don't think I've ever eaten a bad meal there. 
Plus the atmosphere is always good.



 
Nothing massively special about the food. 
Like I can't say anything more about it other than I just think it's good!
 

 

This little monkey!
I stayed over with Enid.  A split second decision which in hindsight I should just have gone home.  This boldie had us up all night with his niggling.  This photo was taken of him next morning looking like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment