Tuesday 4 August 2015

How to treat toenails fungus

Ok so if you don't like gross things turn away now!!!! No don't worry, I don't have any photos (unless you want them) but I do talk about the grossness that is fungal toenails.

I am ashamed to say that I have had a fungal infection on one of my big toes for about 15 years now. I went to the doctor about it 7 years ago who was next to near useless. She took some cuttings from it and sent it off for analysis to say it was not fungal and was an injury caused by something falling on it.  Eh, no I think I'd know if something fell on my big toe causing something as ugly as that!

So over the years I have tried A LOT of different treatments and cures with nothing really working. 

However, I am delighted to tell you that I have found something that is working!  The toenail is now clear at the base and the fungus is growing out and disappearing as I cut the nail shorter.  I reckon I have about a year left (of treating and growing) because toenails grow so slowly, but I can see a definite end in sight.

So what is this magic treatment.  Two items!
1. Hydrogen Peroxide* - available from your local pharmacy (ask the pharmacist for it if you don't see it on the shelf, they can order it in for you also).  The hydrogen peroxide I use is 5%.
2. Warm/hot water.  Yes that's just water!

*For easy application of the hydrogen peroxide you need to pour away the remains of an old nail varnish. Then clean out the bottle of nail varnish and the brush by rinsing out with nail varnish remover.  Then finally wash the bottle out with water and washing up liquid (dish detergent). Fill the bottle with hydrogen peroxide.

The treatment!
1. Soak your foot/toe in a basin of warm/hot water for about 20 minutes.  This is crucial to the process as it softens the toenail
2. Once your nail is soft, if there is any gunge (fungus) in behind the nail/on the nail bed, clean it out with a manicure tool.  You will need to do this every day.
3. Using a manicure tool slightly pry the nail out from the nail bed. Not so much it hurts or anything!!!  But just enough so that the brush with the hydrogen peroxide can go down behind the nail, right on to the nail bed. Apply by pushing the brush down between the nail and nail bed.
4. Let some drops of hydrogen peroxide drop behind the nail on to the nail bed.  "Press and Release" the nail against the bed to make sure it spreads out.
5. Paint the front of the nail with the hydrogen peroxide.

DO NOT OVERDO THE APPLICATION OF HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ONTO THE NAIL BED. It can hurt/throb if you apply too much in one go.  Better to do a small amount every day rather than a huge amount once or twice a week.

Repeat every day!  After two or three weeks you will start seeing a difference.  Keep treating!  It takes less than a half an hour all in.

Keep clipping the nail as far down as possible, clipping off as much of the infected part of the nail as possible.

Do you have fungal feet?!  Has anything worked for you? Let me know how you get on with this treatment please!

Please share this post!  Let's free the world of gross fungal feet! :-)

Ps.  Do you want to see a photo???  If you do I can post one!

4 comments:

  1. Lol! I think we might need a photo!!!

    Let's see if your other readers want to see a photo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent!!! I used a soak of Listerine . . it took a long time . . I like your method better - although, i hope i don't have the challenge again - BUT, if i do - THIS is the procedure I'll use . . Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I've heard listerine is good along with Vicks Vapor Rub!!!

      My nails are perfect but I believe that fungal nails can take years to be cured.

      Delete
    2. I hope you don't ever have to do it again maggie! Feel free to share this method :-)

      Delete